Understand global blindness and how to plan effective eye care with this online course for health professionals.
Find out how to plan and manage eye care, to avoid blindness
Around the world, 285 million people are blind or visually impaired. 75% of this is avoidable and 90% is in low- and middle-income countries. In this online course we highlight the key facts about avoidable blindness and global initiatives to address it.
Content on this course is also provided in Spanish and Portuguese:
A separate French course will run at the same time:
La Cécité dans le Monde: Planifier et Gérer les Services de Soins Oculaires
This course is intended for all health care providers, health managers, NGO staff with an interest and some experience of, eye care health services. The course will especially benefit:
- Eye health providers who lead or manage the service provision of an eye unit or eye care team
- All clinical eye care providers who work in isolated and remote settings
- Eye care providers with an interest in public health approaches
- Any health providers and managers with an interest in resource limited eye care services
- Non-governmental staff involved in developing eye care projects in low- and middle-income countries
- Charity organisations and philanthropists involved in supporting eye care service provision
- Ophthalmic residents and nurses in training programmes with an interest in low- and middle-income health services
- Trainers in academic institutions with an interest in developing training in public health approaches for eye care service provision for their local setting.